Friday, March 21, 2014

Student Success Statement: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

                     Student Success Statement
“Cowardice asks the question ‘Is it safe?’
Expediency asks the question ‘Is it politic?’
Vanity asks the question ‘Is it popular?’
But, conscience asks the question, ‘Is it right?’ and there comes a time when one must take a position that I neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because one’s conscience tells one that it is right.” 
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Reflection: Everyone in the world has a conscience that they do or don’t follow. The biggest problem I see now days is the problem that instead of people following what they know is right or wrong they follow what the world offers them. What Dr. Martin Luther King Jr is trying to tell us is that there will be a time when we have to choose to do the right thing no matter how unpopular or scary it might be. It might not be safe, might not be political, it might not be popular, but it’s always right. The world offers you drugs and offers you money and offers the worst things sometimes. Why should we take up that offer when we know that it is wrong? I know that in my heart if I was ever offered drugs I would say know because I know in my gear that they are wrong. Now some people don’t care if it’s wrong they just want to look cool. The conscience is always right, I know some say that we should follow our hearts but our hear t can deceive us and will tell us what we want. It wants us to do the right thing but our conscience looks out for us and says ‘No’. I’m not saying the heart is bad but don’t always follow it because the heart can be deceiving. Just always do what is right no matter what. 

No comments:

Post a Comment